Bright Eyes – ‘Persona Non Grata’
After 9 long years and having already called time on the band, Conor Oberst and co. are back with new music! For fans of Conor Oberst, the track will need no introduction. For those that haven’t spend the last 22 years listening to the many projects and solo albums of Oberst, just expect ‘Persona Non Grata‘ to evolve the more you listen to it.
Bright Eyes are set to release their new album later this year. Their worldwide tour, like everything else in these dark days, will have to be rescheduled in part. We hope however, that their London date in September still happens. Our top Conor projects include: Monsters of Folk, Conor Oberst & The Mystic Valley Band and Better Oblivion Community Center.
For fans of: The Good Life & Conor Oberst
Ariel Sharratt & Mathias Kom – ‘Rise Up Alexa’
Canadian garage folk band members Ariel Sharratt and Mathias Kom have released the second single from their latest album ‘Never Work‘, and it features long-time Burning Hell collaborator Jake Nicoll as Alexa. Alongside the main track, they have put out a quirky video to accompany it.
For fans of: Shotgun Jimmie & Wax Mannequin
Conchúr White – ‘Bikini Crops’
Nothern Irish solo artist, Conchur White has just released his latest single ‘Bikini Crops‘, a track all about realising how someone has changed your life for the better and trying to avoid ruining that. The track starts with isolated vocal, and has a sort of distortion on it that I think is really effective. This is then joined by the main theme on what sounds like electric guitar. This riff really reminded me of some early work by The Beatles. The further we go in to the track, the more energetic it becomes, and the final chorus is really full.
For fans of: Silences, Thyla & Joshua Burnside
The Boston Shakers – ‘Tribal’
The Boston Shakers are a great blend of rap and rock or as they describe themselves ‘Junkie Pop‘. There is lots of similarities in this track to Kanye from his Yeezus album, which is certainly not a bad thing. It’s original in that it incorporates that live element of a full band behind the front man. They seem to be making some big waves these guys, definitely ones to watch out for.
For fans of: Red Rum Club, FLIIIS & The Mysterines
Gizmo Varillas – ‘Love Over Everything’
The conclude this weeks Fave Five Fridays, we have a brand new track by Spanish songwriter and producer, Gizmo Varillas. His latest single, ‘Love Over Everything‘ is one I came across on a Spotify fresh playlist, and it just had something unlike others that got us hooked almost immediately. The early combination of the funky bass line, and Spanish-style guitar riff were enough to stop me from skipping. Both the lead and backing vocals, along with light percussion really create a chilled vibe.
For fans of: Westerman, Otzeki & Camel Power Club
For the latest tracks that we are listening to at We Like Oliver HQ, check out some of these playlists including our latest Fave Five Fridays playlist.
More Fave Five Fridays
- Fave Five Fridays #23Katy J Pearson – ‘Fare Thee Well Miss Carousel’ Our favourite Bristolian is back with her new tune ‘Take Back the Radio‘, and it’s in keeping with her ability to write incredibly catchy tunes. Her unique vocal shines through once again, accompanied by her classic crisp guitar. While her band Ardyn are on pause, we […]
- Fave Five Fridays #22Out of the Swim – ‘The Garden’ (feat. Annie Booth) First up this week is a collaboration between indietronica 4-piece, Out of the Swim, and Edinburgh-based singer-songwriter Annie Booth. ‘The Garden’ is taken from Out of the Swim’s forthcoming EP, ‘The University of Skinflats’, and draws elements of electronica, jazz and indie rock music. It’s […]
- Fave Five Fridays #21IDLES – ‘Mr Motivator’ To kick things off, our first pick comes from full-time banger makers, ‘IDLES’. ‘Mr. Motivator’ is their first single of 2020, and presumably an introduction to their upcoming third album. This track is full of lyrical genius, which is nothing new from the Bristolians, and it would be well worth your […]
- Fave Five Fridays #20The Reddest of Lights – ‘Turn And Climb’ The Reddest of Lights are a London-based group that we came across while browsing Soundcloud. The trio, Jim, Ben and Tim have been posting an array of new material over the past month, and we picked out ‘Turn and Climb’ as our favourite from the bunch. It […]
- Fave Five Fridays #19Mïrändä – ‘I Am Art’ New York abstract-pop artist, Mïrändä, has this week released her new track ‘I Am Art’ to complete a trilogy of tarot-inspired songs. She has been gaining great momentum this past year, picking up attention from The Line of Best Fit who described the song as ”an ironic masterpiece”. This song would […]
- Fave Five Friday #18Everything Everything – ‘In Birdsong’ To get us underway this week, we open with Manchester rockers Everything Everything, and their first single in two years, ‘In Birdsong’. This track consists of unorthodox sonic exploration, rich synth textures, and Jonathan Higgs’ impassioned falsetto. With a continuing pulsing rhythm contributing to its escalating wall-of-sound. While discussing the […]