Coldplay – Orphans
After a four-year hiatus, Coldplay have returned with the incredible single ‘Orphans’. With its familiar uplifting and joyous sound shadowed by the deeper and darker narrative of the song. Orphans is the latest single from their upcoming album ‘Everyday Life’ which is out 22nd November.
Speaking about the album to Annie Mac on BBC Radio 1, Chris Martin says “It’s all about just being human; it [The album] is our reaction to the perceived negativity that’s everywhere. And there is a lot of trouble, but there’s also so much positivity and so much great life happening. So in a way, it’s just trying to make sense of things, saying what we feel and what we see.”
Juliper Sky – Waves
Following the success of their previous singles, Juliper Sky brings us their third single ‘Waves’; a sumptuous euphoric dream-pop anthem with washed out guitars and dreamy vocal melodies. The lead vocalist, Jamie Lambert states “’Waves’ is undeniably a dreamy/shoegaze love song, it’s simply about opening up to somebody without any regard to consequence. The type of innocence where you are too infatuated to care about the world around you, everybody strives for this feeling at some point in their life.”
Follow Juliper Sky: Instagram
Kanye West – Follow God
The much anticipated album ‘Jesus is King’ dropped this week! With the gospel-infused album sharing an insight into the awoken star; each track provides a different insight into the mind of the star. But it was track three on the album, that draws you in with its textured punch sampled form Christian soul act’s ‘Whole Truth’ that is the hero of the album.
Ekcle – Jindigo
In their early career, Ekcle have been able to trail blaze paths that break barriers within the already saturated electronic scene. Currently in the middle of their UK-wide tour supporting Lamb, whilst debuting a new live show concept they decided to release their latest single ‘Jindigo’. Following on from the duo’s success earlier this year with the release of Yoja EP, Jindigo evokes a range of emotions keeping the listener captivated until the very end with its undulating energy and immaculate production. With Ekcle stating that “Jindigo is a very poignant mark of transition into our current style of music.” I think it’s safe to say we will be hearing a lot more from the UK-duo in the near future.
RVBY – Glow
RVBY has released her third single of the year ‘Glow’ via Funnel Music, with the young singer-songwriter saying “the song’s about anyone who has ever made me feel like I can’t do this”. She has a way of making real life sound extraordinary, with her previously stating: “Inspiration always starts with real life, whether it’s something that’s happened to me or something that’s happened to a friend. I’ll go out for a drink with someone and the next thing I know; I’ve come back with a million things to write about.” The positive upbeat Swedish pop vibe draws on influences from the likes of Robyn, Sigrid and Cyndi Lauper.
Follow RVBY on: Instagram
For the latest tracks that we are listening to at We Like Oliver HQ, check out some of these playlists including our latest Fave Five Fridays playlist.
More Fave Five Fridays
- Fave Five Fridays #23Katy J Pearson – ‘Fare Thee Well Miss Carousel’ Our favourite Bristolian is back with her new tune ‘Take Back the Radio‘, and it’s in keeping with her ability to write incredibly catchy tunes. Her unique vocal shines through once again, accompanied by her classic crisp guitar. While her band Ardyn are on pause, we […]
- Fave Five Fridays #22Out of the Swim – ‘The Garden’ (feat. Annie Booth) First up this week is a collaboration between indietronica 4-piece, Out of the Swim, and Edinburgh-based singer-songwriter Annie Booth. ‘The Garden’ is taken from Out of the Swim’s forthcoming EP, ‘The University of Skinflats’, and draws elements of electronica, jazz and indie rock music. It’s […]
- Fave Five Fridays #21IDLES – ‘Mr Motivator’ To kick things off, our first pick comes from full-time banger makers, ‘IDLES’. ‘Mr. Motivator’ is their first single of 2020, and presumably an introduction to their upcoming third album. This track is full of lyrical genius, which is nothing new from the Bristolians, and it would be well worth your […]
- Fave Five Fridays #20The Reddest of Lights – ‘Turn And Climb’ The Reddest of Lights are a London-based group that we came across while browsing Soundcloud. The trio, Jim, Ben and Tim have been posting an array of new material over the past month, and we picked out ‘Turn and Climb’ as our favourite from the bunch. It […]
- Fave Five Fridays #19Mïrändä – ‘I Am Art’ New York abstract-pop artist, Mïrändä, has this week released her new track ‘I Am Art’ to complete a trilogy of tarot-inspired songs. She has been gaining great momentum this past year, picking up attention from The Line of Best Fit who described the song as ”an ironic masterpiece”. This song would […]
- Fave Five Friday #18Everything Everything – ‘In Birdsong’ To get us underway this week, we open with Manchester rockers Everything Everything, and their first single in two years, ‘In Birdsong’. This track consists of unorthodox sonic exploration, rich synth textures, and Jonathan Higgs’ impassioned falsetto. With a continuing pulsing rhythm contributing to its escalating wall-of-sound. While discussing the […]