Hey Guys! There’s so much cool new music being released every single day! So here’s five of my favourite newly released songs from this week.
1. Summer Girl — HAIM
Los Angeles sisters Danielle Haim, Alana Haim & Este Haim’s latest release ‘Summer Girl’ is a heartwarming song about unconditional love and hope. On Instagram, Danielle Haim says that she wrote the song after she found out that her partner was diagnosed with cancer. During this time, she wanted to be his light in a dark place — his summer girl. I like this song because it’s sweet, sentimental & summery.
2. Hope For the Underrated Youth — YUNGBLUD
English Alternative Rock/Hip-Hop artist YUNGBLUD hits us with an empowering song for young people. My favourite lyric from this song ‘Every day is an episode, I pick and mix with self-control’ I feel completely sums up how many of us young people feel at times — dissatisfied with the mundanity of day to day life and searching for thrills. In the wake of the many changes and challenges we face from the likes of Brexit, climate change, racism and much more, YUNGBLUD’s newest single reminds us that there’s still hope.
3. I Get Lonely — Drake
Technically, ‘I Get Lonely’ isn’t a “new song” — it was released back in 2010. However it is newly released on streaming platforms! Drake has finally blessed us with a compilation album, entitled ‘Care Package’ featuring some fan faves from throughout his career. ‘I Get Lonely’ used to have 14 year old me in my feelings and almost ten years on, it still does. No matter your opinion of Drake, I have to commend his ability to create hype over this album, despite it being songs that we’ve heard before.
4. In Technicolor — Fire Choir
If you’re looking for a positive bad-ass self-love affirmation song then look no further; ‘In Technicolor’ is the song for you. The chorus proclaims ‘I am everything I need, I am everything I want, I am, I am in technicolor’ Exactly the song needed to get the weekend started.
5. Jinny Bingham’s Ghost — Frank Turner
Frank Turner’s folk song, ‘Jinny Bingham’s Ghost’ tells the tale of the ‘fresh-faced lass from Kentish Town’ Jinny Bingham, who was accused of being a witch by the locals! Turner tweeted that her ghost is still said to haunt The Underworld Pub in Camden. This song tells the narrative very well and foreshadows the release of Turner’s album ‘No Man’s Land’ coming on August 16th.
For the latest tracks that we are listening to at We Like Oliver HQ, check out some of these playlists including our latest Fave Five Fridays playlist.
More Fave Five Fridays
- Fave Five Friday #27Featuring – Barnaby Bright // Bright Eyes // Bring Me The Horizon // Pave The Jungle // Robin and the Goblins
- Fave Five Friday #26Featuring – The Soundflowers // Willie J Healey // Tayo Sound // THUMPER // Nadine Shah
- Fave Five Friday #25Featuring – Creeper // Ben Kidson // BETSY // Dream Wife // Josie Man
- Fave Five Friday #24Featuring – EFÉ // Jords // Liz Lawrence // Dan D’Lion // Drug Store Romeos
- Fave Five Fridays #23Featuring – Jack T Tustin // Katy J Pearson // Matt Maltese // simmerdown // To Kill A King
- Fave Five Fridays #22Featuring – Faunn // Nuala // Out of the Swim // Roachford // The Good Manners